It's lovely. Although it's too cold to go roll around in the grass outside, I'll just lounge about on this expanse of pine.
Sadly, it's not an exact match to the original graining - I didn't have enough time to experiment with the technique given our tight deadline, so the color ended up a tad dark with a less distinct grain. Truthfully this resulted in a more realistic looking floor, but it's still regrettable. Even more so since I have to carry this through to the dining room, hallway and butlers pantry. I had planned on writing a bit of a tutorial for getting the grain right since it's such a common treatment, but there's no point given my failure... What we ended up using was red elm gel stain as the glazing medium over the gold paint, cutting it with mineral spirits if it got too thick. Every graining tool I tried to use made lines that were too thin. After trying everything I could think of I ended up buying a silicone basting brush. It worked, don't judge me.
I was just the girl sitting on the floor of her entry room with all the curtains open flogging the floor with a basting brush for 10 hour stretches...
The cold and damp weather was the biggest hurdle to getting this done. The stain took three days to dry enough for the poly, and in that time an enormous amount of shiba inu and ragdoll hair embedded themselves in the thick goo. Unlike debris in poly, I couldn't just sand it out.
|the fuzzy culprits...|
|OBVIOUSLY his nose was cold...|
So, I chose to ignore it. Three coats of poly over the last three days and the floors are done. I used varathane semi-gloss (semi-gloss matches the gloss of the waterlox I use elsewhere) to protect the paint, and while normally I'm not a big fan of poly, this looks pretty damn good. The can advertises it's "aluminum oxide nano technology," which I would normally mock, but given how even the first coat resisted being sanded, maybe I'll give it a pass...