The water table was made out of 10 x 1 1/2 Azek trim. We chose the Azek since it will be resting on the concrete piers, pressed up against the 3x14 antique warehouse beams we used as our sill. This way the sill won't be absorbing any water that could compromise the building. To build the water table we cut three inches off at 10 degrees, then ran the other edge of the three inch piece through again at 10 degrees (then glued them up together). We went a few steps further, treating the sills and studs with tim-bor, a borate preservative that will protect against rot, carpenter ants and termites, and flashing both the top and bottom of the Azek. The flashing was a bit of a wasted effort however, since it was only after the fact that I learned you can't use aluminum against concrete (or treated lumber), as it will corrode. This is where it pays to do your research, as even our carpenter was unaware...
|I can forgive the flashing snafu when this was all that was left of the Azek|
Only available in very expensive 20 foot lengths, I didn't want to buy a fifth board
On a happier note, the slates on the cupola were almost entirely ones that had been culled from rebuilding our roof. They had various issues including the beginnings of rot, chips and cracks - but the area is small and steep enough that the rotted slates should still have decades of life, and the chipped sections could be cut off. This way I don't feel any guilt about using our good slates that we're saving for the front of the kitchen roof. It looks great, although I can't tell you why I didn't take a picture of the finished roof.